Gem/Enchant your gear in accordance with tankspot/Elitist Jerks/whatever.
– IS YOUR FRIEND. Sometimes people on there are wrong, but usually the good information is in a thread dedicated to your class/spec somewhere.
- More than likely we have neither the time nor the energy or inclination to teach you how to perform in a raid environment. The information is easily available on the internet at no cost other than time and effort searching – highly specialized to your class and spec.
- Take your app as seriously as you want us to take you.
- Do your bloody research, do tons of heroics, pug 10-player raids, VOA whatever.
- Be bloody flexible. If your class allows it, be able to fill two raid roles competently.
- Talk to someone of your class/roles already in the guild and ask them to check your enchants/gems. Realize that they may or may not know wtf they’re talking about, so take what they say and go check the authoritative resources on the net.
- Get your professions very high if not max’d. Money is easy to come by. 10-15 dailies per day.
- Make the following macro and hotkey it:
- /who [raiding guild name]
- Then hit that macro every time you log in to figure out what the guild is doing. Start making friends by looking at that /who list first every time you run heroics/pug 10mans/VOA. See who’s doing what and start sending polite whispers asking if they want in on the heroic daily or whatever. Persistence pays. Log in every single day and ask every single person of your class in the guild if they need the daily. A week later you’ll know a few people.
- Know what raid frames are.
- Do your research on what addons and mods raiders of your class commonly use.
- Gear counts, but a person who’s easy-going, reliable and willing to learn is worth their weight in gold.
- it’s never been easier to gear up a character. Run H-TOC and the heroic daily every day, and normal TOC til you have all the gear and both (if hybrid) trinkets you need from there.
- Be where you say you’re gonna be. Never flake on people. People flake on you, but you’re building the reputation as rock-solid reliable.
- Decide what you wanna do.
- Raid MT – long hard road ahead of you. Make sure your dps gear is just as presentable as your tank gear, and apply as a tank/dps hybrid. Don’t go heal/tank hybrid or – you guessed it – you’ll be stuck healing. Then you’ve got a few months of building a reputation as a reliable OT/replacement tank inside the guild before something happens and now you’re MTing. Maybe. Probably not, but there’s a chance.
- Healer – Not as important to have good dps gear, since you’ll probably be healing. But it never hurts to be able to tell the people organizing stuff that their job just became easier since you can switch spec/role.
- Dps hybrid – as a person who occasionally deals with organizing crap, I can’t tell you how nice it is to hear several people in the raid say they can switch roles to fill the gap that just opened up. Alts are nice, but rarely as geared as your hybrid main.
- Dps pure – you’d better know your **** if you want in as a hunter/rogue/DK or whatever is the FOTM around here. Your website resources had better be bookmarked and you need to be up on the latest changes to what your gearing/spec priorities are.
- Last thing before you app: double-check your spell rotation, your mods and your enchants/gems. Applicant with weird/haphazard gem choices – probably didn’t take the time to go research his class and what works in PVE raiding.
HOW NOT TO GET INTO A DECENT RAIDING GUILD:
Q: Post a link to your armory or profile in pve spec/gear.
A1: <name without hyperlink>*
* All 71 talent points in one tree.
A2: <rogue, name withheld> with +1 Agi wrist enchant
Read Full Post »
Posted in Uncategorized, tagged dps, dungeon, emblem, finder, frost, pve, t10, tank, wow on 29-12-2009 |
Leave a Comment »
Inspired by this:
…which I thought was rather rude and condescending, even for someone as arrogant and grumpy as I.
1. One random dungeon per day for 2x Emblem of Frost. One FoS for Needle Scorpion. That’s it, unless a guildie/friend needs something from another of the new heroics.
2. Always ask in guildchat first. No takers whisper everyone in the /who list of the next two most progressed alliance guilds on the server – Majestas and The Dark Passion.
3. My tanking gear is plenty good for tanking in pvp spec, so that’s what I do because I still have the tanking skills to make things smooth and fast. Overgearing stuff makes it easy and fast and somewhat fun but devoid of all sense of challenge or achievement.
4. If you ask nicely I might help you with something unless it’s inconvenient.
5. If there’s time and you want to do an optional boss then what the hell.
6. Wipes happen. Run back. I will probably not rez you if I’ve ran back and you chose not to and you’re not my guildie or friend. You’ll leave or get votekicked and we’ll find a replacement superquick because we don’t need a tank (I’m it) and we’ll be better off without you most likely.
7. Asshattery will be met with votekickedry.
8. Roll NEED on the Battered Hilt and we can talk about it afterward. It’s a fun quest and I’ve already done it. I’m assuming I’d be able to check see if you’ve done the quest. Yes, there’s an addon available that let’s you fake completed achievements. Dunno if it could be used to pretend you hadn’t done the quest. You might decide to not do the quest and sell the item just so you could pull this “oh I wanna do the quest” routine again. If you seem like a decent person or if you’re in my guild or a decent person on my server I’ll probably give it to you if I win it. If you then sell it without doing the quest I’ll make sure people on the server know about it.
9. I have a low tolerance for spam or extremely derogatory remarks. Of any kind. But I’m not gonna let that get in the way of 2x Emblem of Frost for my T10 gear. You’ll probably just be on an ignore list.
Read Full Post »
Posted in DPS help, Movies, tagged bear, cat, dps, feral, heal, rawr, tank, tps, wow on 13-12-2009 |
Leave a Comment »
Rawr is a stand-alone program that will dramatically improve how you are able to choose gear sets for general use and specific fights. It is also *fairly* simple to use and has some extremely powerful optimizing features.
Ever wondered whether to equip this trinket or that trinket?
Ever wondered whether you should break your old 4t8 set bonus or go with 2t8 or this or that set?
Rawr3 is currently in beta and is completely web-based – there’s no need to download anything, just run it in your web browser as long as you can handle Microsoft’s Silverlight framework (same as Java, pretty much). Linux users may be SOL. Email Astrylian or pm him on the Rawr site for access to the beta.
- Rawr.Bear, actively maintained and fully functional, by Astrylian
- Rawr.Cat, actively maintained and fully functional, by Astrylian
- Rawr.DPSDK, actively maintained and fully functional, originally by Zurm now by Bloodysorc and Soraia
- Rawr.DPSWarr, actively maintained and fully functional, by Jothay (Arms) and ebs2002 (Fury)
- Rawr.Elemental, actively maintained and fully functional, by Lord_Helmchen
- Rawr.Enhance, actively maintained and fully functional, by Levva
- Rawr.Healadin, actively maintained and fully functional, by Ermad
- Rawr.HolyPriest, actively maintained and fully functional, by TNSe
- Rawr.Hunter, being updated (but largely unusable), by iamcal
- Rawr.Mage, actively maintained and fully functional, by Kavan
- Rawr.Moonkin, periodically updated and fully functional
- Rawr.ProtPaladin, actively maintained and fully functional, by roncli
- Rawr.ProtWarr, actively maintained and fully functional, by EvanM
- Rawr.RestoSham, periodically updated and partially functional
- Rawr.Retribution, actively maintained and fully functional, by Ermad
- Rawr.Rogue, still in development
- Rawr.ShadowPriest, actively maintained and fully functional, by TNSe
- Rawr.TankDK, actively maintained and fully functional, originally by ebo now maintained by Shazear
- Rawr.Tree, periodically updated and fully functional
- Rawr.Warlock, still in development
Your other solutions are Toskk and Simulation Craft, the first which is a very nice web-spreadsheet and the latter I have no experience with… but it seems way complicated and learning-intensive.
Read Full Post »